Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Parmesan Chicken

Hello! We are back with our weekly contributor but first I would like to thanks so much for all your sweet comment about my pregnancy post!! :)





This weekend, we have Latoya, from the Scott's Crib!


Welcome Latoya!

You know what's good about being cheap?  It really enhances your creative abilities.

Since I began truly embracing what a  "LaThrifta livelihood" truly encompasses I have discovered that my diy-er and creativity skills fall into other areas of my life, especially in regards to grocery shopping and meals.

After the initiation of the first month of the Healthier Crib Challenge, I have been exploring ways to live with less meat.  During my little journey I came up with this quick, easy, and cheap meal that didn't require me to buy a whole pack of meat.

I purchased a whole pack of chicken breast from Wal-Mart a few weeks back, forgive me because I don't remember the cost, but I came home and immediately separated each breast into its own ziploc bag.  I was determined that every meal I made from that pack of meat would include only one or two chicken breast.

This nice meal I whipped up only took two of the chicken breast from this pack.  

Enough talking let's get into it...in order to make this meal you will need the following ingredients:



  • 2 chicken breast (shredded)
  • Some milk (and no I am not a measure type person)
  • A couple of dollops of butter
  • Parmesan Cheese (I used 2 kinds because I was trying to use up the rest of what I had on hand)
  • Garlic Salt
  • Basil
  • Pepper
  • About a 1/4th of a box of spaghetti noodles
  • A few broccoli florets
So to make this quick and easy as I promised this is how I made my dinner...  

I cooked both of the chicken breast in the crockpot on low for 8 hours with some pepper and salt.  Once they were done I took them out and shredded them.  This is actually how much chicken I had...that's a lot for us.



Once I did that I put my butter, milk, and seasonings in a pan and let it start bubbling on medium.




Meanwhile, in another pot my noodles are almost done and I drop in the broccoli.




Drain the noodles and broccoli and add the chicken and your sauce.




Mix it up real good and you have this.  We had enough leftovers for two lunches:)  




So I know you're wondering how much the other stuff cost me and it basically felt like nothing.  I used up what I already had.  I have noodles for days because I scored 20 boxes of spaghetti noodles and other pasta for free after a sale and coupon double up.  I also had left over Parmesan cheese from another meal but it wasn't enough so I used some of the Parmesan cheese in the bottle as pictured above.  

So there you have it!  Such an easy way to have dinner with LaThrifta don't ya' think?

Want more of my practical tips to living frugally?
Like me on Facebook Now!

Like what you see? Never Miss Another Post! 


Photobucket

Thanks Latoya! 



Have a great day!


Bonnie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...