Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

'The Block' Ponderings

Image Courtesy Channel Nine

Oh boy, am I going to learn heaps from this show, especially since I have been considering a reno rather than a build next time. I found myself asking 'WWID' (What Would I Do) questions all the way through the first elimination round.

Contemplations:

1. If given only 24 hours in which to totally create a room (not that I could ever imagine only having 24 hours in which to do so) would I shop first or paint? Considering the shops close at night and one is on a deadline, could I cope with the stress of last minute shopping. OMG she was buying things in the last 30 minutes of the challenge. I would be beside myself with stress and probably lose consciousness.

2. Would I paint the skirting boards before nailing them on? Not the best technique... but I didn't see the judges on their hands and knees examining the paint job. I think I would have gotten away with painting first. That's difficult for me to admit... considering you all know how I feel about dodgy paint jobs. Lets not go there.

3. If my adversary lost his tape measure, would I share mine with him? .... considering that if I gave him help, he could win and I could lose the only chance I had to progress to the next round, i.e., like to actually get onto the actual show and get to renovate a house. The sharing of the tape measure was touching.

4. Considering the limited budget, would I purchase and then attempt to assemble flat pack furniture? This for me was the most distressing thing to watch...... oh the time required to put that stuff together. I could feel myself losing consciousness with anxiety just watching the whole thing.

5. What sales techniques would I use (from the many damn pharmaceutical rep 'role plays' that I had to suffer through all those years ago) to sweet talk the retailers into giving me discounts to keep within the budget? Correct me if I am wrong but the contestants weren't allowed any freebies.

6. Would I find the whole experience so stressful that I would leave the actual tin of paint I purchased in the shop and not realise it until I was back on set looking for the paint? Oh dear. I can't imagine.

Katrina, I can't wait for your elimination round on Thursday, you brave thing! Good luck! We might have to have a serious 'post elimination discussion' here on Friday morning.
Photobucket
PS My boys are joyous... they have TV viewing rights every night now. We all sat and giggled, covered our eyes (when the flat pack stuff didn't work out)  and yelled our opinions at the TV. This is going to be 'healing' for them. I am sure there is some psychological damage there from all the days I made them sit for hours in camp chairs in the garage of the house build (the only safe place on site) while Mummy had meetings with tradespeople. Good way to get back on the 'building horse'. Boys, how do you feel about doing a reno next time?!

CLICK HERE for link to 'The Block' website.

PPS Go Katrina!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...