Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

My Love of Baskets

One of the loves I have is that of baskets. I do have others that I am known for , hearts for example and of course my love of 'home and hearth' and all that entails.

I have over the years been fortunate to be able to collect and use baskets in our home. I have no idea where this came form initially but suspect it came form my reading of Emily Barnes and her book I have quoted before:The Spirit of Loveliness: Bringing Beauty, Creativity, and Order to Your Life
Once again it is a book that opened my heart to the beauty we bring into our homes and how we can give our homes a 'signature' of our own.

As it turns out baskets has been one of my feature signatures.

Some time ago we went to our favourite Antique shop where we have bought many books as well as many tea cups and other gifts for ourselves and others.

Of course on this particular day I managed to see a beautiful basket (top photo) that had a very reasonable price tag, in my opinion, of $10. Now you know I couldn't leave it there in that big shop, unloved and unwanted when I could offer it a very lovely home and a worthwhile life as my new craft basket now could I?

I have used baskets for many uses over the years. I have a very deep seated hatred of 'plastic' and will go to many lengths to avoid using this for anything in our home if I can avoid it, much to the annoyance of those who attempt to use plastic. I have been accused of causing a cluttered affect in our home but for the life of me I cannot agree with this.
We use baskets for so many collection points or storage or even carrying items and I love to see our children when they look for a receptacle for anything the first item they look for is a beloved basket.

The picture above is a collage of some of the baskets we have full of different items around our home at the moment.
These can actually change as I need to re-organise or need a basket for some other purpose.

I love the warmth of the various materials that these baskets come in and I really do feel more 'at home' hanging our washing from a cane basket rather than the utilitarian plastic one or pairing up socks or even just moving clothes from one room to another. Yes, I do think  they may last longer BUT where is the heart and soul that a cane basket brings to the task?

For I believe that just because we live our lives in service to those in our home that we do not need to be drab or boring. We can bring life to our homes and the attitude in which we do our work, and if something like a love of baskets helps us in our vocations to bring pride and achievement to our daily tasks then we should do all that is reasonable  to use these items to assist us in these worthy tasks.

So what are some of the 'signiture items' that you love and that you use in your daily life? I would love to hear from you about what you find brings joy to your life, as simple as it may be!

Blessings to you and your homes,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...