Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Anzac Day 2012


Remembering my 'Pa-Pa' today, on Anzac Day.

Hugh Gordon Routley
2/2nd Machine Gun Battalion
Palestine, 1941
Aged 37, in photo.
Also fought in New Guinea. 

He was a very quiet man. He seemed to be always lost in his thoughts. I think the Machine Gun Battalion might have had something to do with it. I am so sad that he, like many, had to participate in the horror of war. I was only getting to really know him as an adult when he passed away. I was at Uni and 19 years old at the time..... a lifetime ago, it seems.

We're off to the Anzac Day Memorial Service at school this morning. We're tying our ties (researching Windsor knots on the internet.... you'd think they'd know by now!) and polishing our shoes.... to avoid the dreaded detention. Goodness, my big one has grown! When did that happen?  His blazer is sort of a midriff arrangement now!  I have been avoiding the expensive new purchase for long enough I think! 

Have a good day, my friends. 
Lest we forget.
Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...