Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

That Was Yesterday


Yesterday was a challenge. 

I was in the shower when I heard an almighty scream (those out there with babies/toddlers, the bad news is, you can't leave them alone for a minute even in their tweens/teens). Little one had sneezed while brushing his teeth, smashed his mouth on the sink in the process and broken his beautiful, long-awaited, 'grown up', front tooth. Oh, how we had waited for that tooth. I think I even blogged about it, when we were searching for x-ray evidence of it up in the gum!

Once the shock wore off, the little mite was wringing his hands over the prospect of looking like Jim Carrey, in the movie 'Dumb and Dumber', forever... and the possibility that 'no-one will ever fall in love with me'. To make the situation worse, I was on my way out the door for 'my day in court'. Yes, the 'powers that be' from a previous tenancy decided they'd end our tenancy with a bang by refusing our bond payout, based on some normal wear and tear on the softest, engineered wooden floor in the universe (it was like living on play dough). Sigh. Alright then. Let's go to court.

Big son volunteered to stay home from school as he was also distraught (or so he said) and look after little one (with Gran's help, of course), so I could head off. The earliest dentist appointment we could get was 1pm ... so little one whimpered until then. He wasn't in pain, he just wanted to look normal again. Poor darling.... I felt terrible. 



I spent the morning sitting on the above ledge, at the court, trying to take my mind off things, trying to appreciate the view, the beautiful day, bemoaning the delays in the court timetable, fretting about my baby and summoning the strength to face the people who had given us very little 'quiet enjoyment' of our rental property for the past 12 months. I never bored you with the details about the constant 'entry notices' we received throughout the year, from these people, for 'rectification of defects'. The apartment was brand new and they had not fixed a very, very long list of building defects, the owner had highlighted, that needed to be fixed BEFORE we moved in. We were unaware of the situation before we moved in..... so thus began a year of apartment repairs.... on my time, ruining my belongings in the process... sometimes up to 4 times a month. Renting is so character building.


Long story short. I won. I'm getting my bond back. 

The 'Applicant' wore slippers to court! Need I say more. I received a text from my big son, before I went in to court. He said, "tell me one thing Mum, slippers or thongs"? I laughed out loud. I texted back, "slippers". My son marvelled at how 'the Applicant' wore those slippers everywhere, even when showing prospective tenants through the old place. You go to court... you take off your slippers and show that you respect the process. Ok done, got through that and then bundled the little one up on my return home and held his hand through the afternoon dentistry. 

It's not the same. It's not as good as it was, his dear little tooth :(



My world sort of stopped yesterday, my day passed in slow motion and everything that was meant to matter, mattered. All I thought about all day was my boy. He was all that mattered.....despite the distractions. Perspective. I am grateful for it.

Got this in my inbox last night:

"One little known secret to making precisely the right move, at precisely the right time in your life, A-M, is knowing that in all cases, there is more than one right move and more than one right time. Lots and lots more.

In other words, no matter what you do next, or when, so long as you do something, I'll meet you there, smooth the edges, polish the grill, and connect the dots.

Tallyho,
    The Universe"

Thank you universe. Thank you for smoothing the edges and connecting the dots yesterday. Bye-bye annus horribilis... that's the last of you. Be gone!

Anyway, the house/land/shack is mine... as of last night.... picking up the keys today. And breathe out.
Now to get some tenants in, if it's liveable!

Commence Chapter Two.

Happy Tuesday! 
Photobucket
P.S. Hey, thanks Mum, for attacking my ironing pile... and for taking away shirts with missing buttons and school trousers that needed to be taken up. Oh it's nice to accept some help at times! So nice. xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...