Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Neighbourhood Happenings


I couldn't get into the right headspace for my run yesterday. My legs and lungs were willing but my mind was not with me so I just took it easy and enjoyed the little surprises my neighbourhood always dishes up each day. My 'less than optimal motivation' made me think about a conversation I had with my optometrist last week. She also runs for fitness and her philosophy is that you can have two out of the three elements of a run (mind, legs, lungs) and still get by, all three and you're invincible, just one and you're cactus. I was bordering on 'cactus' yesterday. 

I must admit, my run yesterday was also fraught with danger. I had 2 Magpies swoop on me and a little 'yap-yap' dog escaped his elderly owner and ferociously nibbled my ankles. 

Dangerous stuff. Character building.


So yes, there's a teepee in my neighbour's back yard.
Oh it's full on, with beds and stuff inside. A seriously functional teepee.
There was a big one in the front yard too.....but it is now lying on the ground, all squished.
I wonder if vandals got to it?


I do sense a 'theme' though.


'Ned Kelly' scares the living daylights out of me every morning. I'm like a goldfish and forget he's there every time. I see him out of my peripheral vision and turn to say hi, thinking he is a neighbour.... and then jump out of my skin. Every. Day. C'mon A-M, smarten up.


Remember this place?... where we thought they were going to keep this facade?....


... because that was all that was remaining after the demolition?


Well they sort of did. 
Raised it and tacked on some 'not of like terms' units at the back.
Depressing really.


I don't understand the dark paint on the house, with the lighter units at the back. 
Makes it stand out like a sore thumb and emphasizes the architectural disharmony. 
Nice bin.


Ahhh yes, beautiful West End. 
This vignette was accompanied by a sign that said, "we've moved out, take what you want".
Pity it rained.


At least our op shops are glamorous.


This place has been moved and done up.


Moved to make room for these.


Sort of sad.
How hard is it to whack up another simple colonial....'of like terms'??...


...especially when these 'heritage masterpieces' are directly across the road......



.... and the character home next door has been retained. 
Sold in a millisecond.


And in exciting news..... remember my neighbour Karen's place... just after the flood....all covered in flood mud, inside and out?


...well one year on, it's being raised....


... nice and high.


They're all doing it in my old street.
Here's another one. 
Raisin' them high!

One year on from the flood and life is not back to normal for many....


....but good things are happening.

Happy Tuesday!


Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...