Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

~* Yard Sale Treasures *~

I had a good treasure hunt this past Saturday...I found this mirror for $5.00. On the back it says it was manufatured by Pittsburgh Plate Glass, October 1941. I fell in love with it when I first saw it. I wasn't exactly sure where I could hang it, but I decided to get it anyways. After I got it home I decided to hang it at the top of the stairs. I also found this great little table for $3.00. I almost forgot to take a "before" picture of it so as you can see it was yellow and I decided to paint it pale green. I've been wanting a small table in the master bedroom to use as a coffee table. My husband thought I should have left it there since it does have a crooked leg, but I think it gives it character. The sweet older couple that I bought the mirror and table from told me they were downsizing. They had lived in a farmhouse but were moving to something smaller.
I bought this picture frame at a yard sale back in May for .50 cents. The first time I saw it I knew I wanted it for my chalkboard. I found chalkboard paint, but never found the type of board that would be lightweight...I was about to give up hope when dh, dd and I found a chalkboard at Staples that would fit inside it. My dh just hung it up in our kitchen, but now I don't have any chalk!
I also bought these lidded glass jars on Saturday. The larger jar was .75 cents...the smaller one was .25 cents. I had gone to another yard sale and found these great old wooden thread spools. They were .10 cents each. The buttons belonged to my dear Gram.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Julie, now I'm sorry that I didn't buy the rest of the spools...I could have sent them to you! I'll keep an eye out for them again.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Terri and Bob...thank you...I really do try to respond to questions because I want everyone to know that I read what they have to say.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Abbie, thank you, too! I honestly can say that I am no authority on painting furniture. My method is to clean the piece of furniture with Murphy's Oil soap, let it dry and just start painting. I know that one should scrape the loose paint if there is any, but I never bother...I say the shabbier the better! If any one knows of the proper way to paint furniture could you please let me know so I can post a link? Thanks!
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Shirlee, I can honestly say that I have better luck at thrift stores than at yard sales. I always get something from a thrift store, but yard sales really are hit or miss.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...