Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Cheer


We headed off yesterday to find Bill. 
He was waiting for us in his spot as he knew we were coming. 
He was even wearing a new shirt.


The boys handed over some fresh fruit treats and a Christmas card that little one had painstakingly worked on over the weekend.... an origami masterpiece.... full of little pockets containing little origami surprises.


Bill had told me previously how much he loved chilled Golden Circle pineapple juice. His eyes misted up when he saw his little stash. We had emptied out our ice trays at home and double bagged some ice for the bottom of the box to keep them chilled. He was excited about the ice. He was very excited about the included knife too. He needed a knife. 


The origami was explained in great detail.


Every piece.


Bill had made us a beautiful Christmas Card. 
A Christmas tree by the river that we share, with our city buildings behind it.
We will treasure it. 



As we walked towards the car to head home, Bill called out, "thank you my friends. Christmas of my life". He smiled a rare smile.

As soon as we got in the car, my eldest said, with a great sigh, "gee that felt good". Little one was absolutely beaming. "Did you hear that it is the Christmas of his life. He's really happy. He's going to have a good day". Sure is boys. He's going to be scoffing down that fruit, that's for sure.  My heart was light at my boys' pure reactions.

As we drove away, my youngest said, "look, Bill's holding the pineapple juice up against his cheek". I said "because it's cold and anything cold for Bill is a real treat". I could see the penny drop in his eyes. He got it. We had discussed previously where Bill slept and how he never got a hot shower or a hot meal at night and how he did not have access to everything we take for granted... electricity, running water, a warm bed, fresh, clean clothes, daily cuddles. 

My teenager was pensive last night when we were contemplating the universe before bedtime. "Mum, I know what the meaning of life is". Goodness..... big statement from a 14 year old. He said, "it's what we did for Bill today". 

It's got to be close I reckon. 

Happy Christmas Bill!
Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...