Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Simple Pleasures - Swings

Who cannot enjoy the simple pleasure of swings?
The motion of forward and back, the rhythm that comes from being on for a while, the gentle tummy sensation that exists for me every time.
I don't know of  a time I haven't loved being on a swing. I simply love the thrill of this oh, so simple and yet very calming activity.

Even now (as the photo above shows) I still love the swings. If we go to a playground I ALWAYS have to have a turn on the swings........that is after I have pushed little ones and the other children have had a turn.
For me it is just an expression of freedom! The ability to soar up into the sky and yet still know that the earth is safely below. Even when we have little babies I want need my turn on the swing.
Arwen on the swing that has been the scene of many happy memories
Even as I love this activity our children, like so many others have had a swing set of their own. In fact I do think we are on our 3rd swing set (which is in very dire need of replacing).

Children love to be on the swings and I have spent many an hour outside pushing them on them. From the time our oldest was two and we got him that first swing set for his second birthday, children and swings just go together for me..............and singing.

Ahhh, yes singing. Strange as it may sound the corresponding activity for swinging is singing.

After Kynan received that swing set for his birthday we were blessed with our son Braedon. From that time on I sang songs to them as I pushed them on the swings.

However the standard, well compulsory 'swing song' is the one I have made up from way back then and gets added to as we have more children. This is the song were I use the children's Christan and middle names and  make a rhyme from it.

For example:
Kynan Blair...loves the fair
Dum, diddle, umpt, dmpt, umpt, dumpt
next child's name
Dum, diddle, umpt, dmpt, umpt, dumpt
and down the line we go.

This is a very happy memory for me as I sing it to each new set of 'swingers' in our home and is once again a treasure Simple Pleasure.
         
I am linking to Dayles Simple Pleasures for this post
Blessings to you and your homes,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...