Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

SUNDAY POETRY: "I STARTED EARLY – TOOK MY DOG –"



I STARTED EARLY TOOK MY DOG
by Emily Dickinson

I started Early – Took my Dog –
And visited the Sea –
The Mermaids in the Basement
Came out to look at me –


And Frigates
– in the Upper Floor
Extended Hempen Hands
Presuming Me to be a Mouse –
Aground – opon
the Sands –


But no Man moved Me – till the Tide
Went past my simple Shoe –
And past my Apron – and my Belt
And past my Boddice
– too –


And made as He would eat me up –
As wholly as a Dew
Opon a Dandelion's Sleeve –
And then – I started – too –


And He – He followed – close behind –
I felt His Silver Heel
Opon my Ancle – Then My Shoes
Would overflow with Pearl –


Until We met the Solid Town –
No One He seemed to know –
And bowing – with a Mighty look –
At me – The Sea withdrew –


(Photo by Kike Medina)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...